2012/10/15

Re Visiting.

Which really means re-working.  This post is made of realizing blogger has the perfect format for what I have to share at this moment and as a place holder until I post about my trip earlier this year.  Since my last blog I discovered that many of the photos I'd most looked forward to processing and sharing were eaten by Google, or maybe my friend's Mac.  I'm mostly done mourning them.  So, in the interim...

This necklace was originally constructed for a collaboration with Alex and the Black Widow Dolls:




You can find more pics from The Dollie Collection - and the gorgeous gals who modeled it here.

The necklace was available at my brick and mortar location within Fans & Stoves Antique Mall in Five Points, a delightful home away from home for me that I'll blog about one day, when I have the time and energy to devote to all the awesome characters and things that live there.  Last week, it fell and impacted directly on the connection point for the cameo-style brass stamping.  And broke.

See, almost everything I do is a cold connection.  In this case, JB Weld.  Which is super for most of the metal on metal connecting I need.  Determined not to scrap the necklace, I took the parts to Shannon of Bead Here Now to see if she could do a quick weld for me.  She could.  And there was much rejoicing.

The process left much of the vintage brass drawer pull plate clean and shiny, and you know we can't be having with all that.  So I had to age it back to its former glory.


Then a good scrubbing and a bit of buffing.  Now her beautiful likeness seems to come floating out of the darkness, like some ghost.


After all that there was the simple matter of returning everything to the brass bail and restringing it all on the vintage brass cuckoo clock chain.


Finally, I could re list it on etsy and return it to the brick & mortar tomorrow.  All's well that ends well thanks to the help of others <3

No comments:

Post a Comment